Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Maddux James Hernandez

Born December 26th, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Origin of the name:
Maddux- Named after two time Chicago Cubs pitcher and future Hall of Famer who retired this year.
James- Named after my dad.
Hernandez- You guys can figure that one out.

Well this post was originally going to be my week 38 doctor update, but Maddux decided he would grace us with his presence 12 days early. So here is the story of how Maddux came into our lives. See the slide show below for pictures of the little guy from minute 1 up until day 4.

Carlos and I spent Christmas dinner at my mom's house along with Matt, Carlos' family and the Rabes which was of course wonderful. We decided to take bets on when I would go into labor by picking the date and the sex as a tie breaker. Nobody picked December 26th so my mom decided to buy that square so that we wouldn't have any empties. After dinner, we had a great time playing the game Loaded Questions. The reason I mention this game is because everyone claims that all the laughing I did caused me to go into labor, because my contractions began at 11 pm that night. We decided to go in to the hospital when my contractions were 5 minutes apart so we got into the hospital at about 6 am on December 26th. On the way to the hospital I called my mom to let her know she was going to win the bet (if Maddux waited 12 more hours Matt would have won so you can image what his first words to me were). Once at the hospital I was informed I was still only dilated 3 cm. "What? I was 3 cm a week ago and I have been having contractions for 7 hours!" So I was told to walk the halls for an hour or so to see where I am at because they can not admit me until I am at 4 cm. So I painfully do so and an hour later I am at 5 cm (thank goodness). Yeah, here I go into the labor and delivery room about 8 am. I decide to get an epidural to ease the pain, so by the time I got the epidural it was about 10 am. I had what is called a one-sided epidural due to the curve in my spine only one side of my body was numb, but I thought well I guess half the pain is better than all of the pain. They decided to check me and at about 11 am they were shocked to see I was 10 cm and ready to push, but you can't push until the epidural has worn off a little. "So you are telling me I got 1/2 an epidural and it was only in for 1 hour?" Again, at least it took some pain from me. So by the time the epidural wore off it was 11:45 and time to push. Maddux must have really wanted out because it took only 10 pushes (most first time labors take about an hour of pushing) and out he came at 12:06 pm, a baby boy. Carlos and I were so blessed to have all of our family and my two best friends Whitney and Eden there for the birth. Eden (the amazing photographer) took some great photos so click her link The Thome Family off to the side to see her pictures. This experience has truly been a miracle and I can see why people have so many children. Carlos and I are so thankful to have such supportive family and friends, so thanks to you all.

Stats:
Weight: 6 lbs 1/2 oz
Height: 19 in
Head Circumference: 12.75 in
Birth Score: 9.9 (they told a concerned Carlos that no baby gets a 10)

Ok, I know this is really what you wanted to see. Enjoy the slide show of the beginning of our new life with the most perfect baby boy.

9 comments:

Amit said...

Adorable!

I vote for more pictures of Maddux and Tau.

Becky said...

Paige, I just love your enthusiasm and seeing you enjoy this new thing "motherhood"! Wouldnt it be funny if you end up with more kids than Eden or Whitney? :)
Becky

tedamyb said...

Congratulations Paige and Carlos. Maddux is beautiful. Reading your blog and seeing the pictures bring back so many good memories for me. Enjoy every moment with Maddux because he truly is a gift. The great thing is parenthood never gets dull and it's amazing to watch your children grow up.

Anonymous said...

He is Beautiful, Paige! Congrats.

Hilary said...

Awwwww! In Finn's words, "He is so cute!"

Lisa Mae said...

He's beautiful! Congratulations. I love his name.

You video made me cry. So precious, those first moments... And, my boys have been swaddled in those pink and blue striped blankets for weeks now so it's makes me miss them. Time to get to the hospital for a visit. ;)

Hope you are feeling well. You look great!

Congrats!

Thome Family said...

Seriously? I JUST did my makeup. Thank's a lot.

Diana said...

Paige and Carlos,

Congratulations!!! Little Maddux is adorable. I'm so happy for all of you and keep posting pictures. :-)

~ Diana

CC said...

i'm a big old dork but i totally got teary when it got to the brotherly love photo!
maddux looks a lot like carlos right now, can't wait to see how he changes over the next little while.